Monday, May 18, 2015

Blog 1- Meme



      My meme is about how I am a wound care nurse. I really enjoyed exploring what my friends, husband and society think I do. The way I figured each picture was asking different people what they believe I do on a daily basis.

      My non-medical friends think that I put Band-Aids on people all day. This has some truth to it. Many people can heal their wounds on their own, so I simply cover it with foam dressing (Band-Aid). The second picture is focused on what my husband thinks I do. It seems like every time my husband calls me I am either on break or charting. He thinks my job is very easy.

      The next picture is how society views nurses not by any specialty; they usually remember the old fashioned white hats. The next picture about my boss was chosen because whenever my boss tries to talk with me I seem to be on my lunch break.

      The fifth picture is what I think I do. I picture myself in a crazy surgery helping doctors while the patient starts to bleed everywhere. The final picture is what I really do which is putting negative pressure dressings on frequently. I chose the text because they each seemed appropriate for a meme. I learned how people view what I do and how hard they think I work. It was fun finding out what people think about wound nurses. 

9 comments:

  1. It was interesting learn about how wound nurses are viewed. I can't say I have any experience with your specialty. What is negative pressure? I assume that differs from regular pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Negative pressure or wound vac is a special dressing that goes on a wound that sucks out drainage by using negative pressure. Its pretty much a vacuum on an open wound. It really helps the wound form granulation tissue, which is the good tissue we want to help close the wound. I have had a lot of success with these dressings. It is great for patients who are non-compliant with changing their own dressings. This type of dressing only needs to be changed every other day. It is literally the coolest dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I did not realize that it is sucking out bad fluids. I just know they are nasty looking. I have to x-ray their wounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true. I have to disassociate to avoid having the heaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, thanks for explaining Katherine. What types of wounds would these dressing be used for? Are there guidelines used to assess need?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I love this. I didn't know much about a wound nurse and it's great to look at what you created to get more of an idea. It's great to actually take a minute to realize how the people around us and how society views us because at times we never really think about it. As a wound nurse I can picture more than just putting a band-aid on a patient but I can see how people who are involved in the medical field could see it differently. To be honest I have never heard of a negative pressure dressing and it is neat to learn about this. Its awesome to see what the nursing field is all about and I cannot wait. I love the one about your husband and boss I thought those were funny. I always get a call from my boyfriend while i'm not busy and he thinks I have such an easy life! Great job again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the questions everyone. Negative pressure dressing or a wound vac can be placed on a wound that is deep or full thickness. Usually, when a patient has a debridement on a wound a wound vac would be applied. I see these dressings on anything from diabetic ulcers, vascular ulcers or even a surgery where they couldn't close the wound fully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Katherine, I'm a RN from HK, I am working on my presentation for the topic "Specialty Nurse" and I eventually found your meme form Google, can I share your meme to my classmate during the presentation? I think it's interesting when I show this meme to them as I'm going to discuss the actual image, limitations, responsibility etc with my classmates and tutors. I won't make use of your meme unless you permit me to do so. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete